September 6, 2007

Nessun Dorma, Luciano



"No one sleeps." And yet, my Pavarotti apparently does, except in my fond memories of him.

I was privileged to see him perform live twice in New York City, many years ago; once, on a blanket with my friend Marc, way in the back of a huge crowd gathered in the Sheep Meadow for a free concert in Central Park (with the Harlem Boy's Choir!), once in a box seat at the Met. I don't remember which opera it was, and his performance was perhaps not stellar, technically; he was ill and had to sit for most of it. Still, I projected perfection.

I'm reminded of a quote of Byron Katie's, from a long out-of-print book called What To Do When Nothing Works: "Babies, Pavarotti, mothers, fathers, vortexes, flowers, and Corvettes are all there as symbols for me to know myself."

I love knowing myself through my beautiful projection of Pavarotti. Addio, Luciano...and no goodbyes, you are always with me.


©2007 by Carol L. Skolnick; all rights reserved.

1 comment:

WilleWorks.com said...

I project a Master of passion.

Swoon.

He is always with me too.

How wonderful that you saw him twice in NY! Lucky ducky.